COLUMBUS – Lieutenant Governor and Insurance Director Mary Taylor announced the Ohio Department of Insurance has unveiled new consumer guides that explain insurance in a simple-fashion and said they should be a trusted companion to help Ohioans make confident, smart insurance coverage decisions for themselves and their family.
“One of the top priorities of the Department is to educate and protect Ohio insurance consumers,” Taylor said. “These detailed yet easy-to-read publications will help Ohioans be more informed insurance consumers and will be of value during the coverage evaluation and selection process.”
The dynamic downloadable guides, available at www.insurance.ohio.gov, cover auto, homeowners, health, life and annuities, long-term care and Medicare insurance. Hard copy requests can also be made on the website and by calling the Department’s consumer hotline at 1-800-686-1526, where experts can also answer any insurance questions.
The guides address many insurance topics including consumers’ rights, explanation of coverage, cancellation and non-renewal, answers to common questions, filing a complaint, appealing coverage denial and include shopping tips. Here are highlights of what you’ll also find in each guide:
- Auto: A breakdown of the different coverages, understanding your financial requirements and rights, protecting against uninsured or underinsured motorists, getting discounts, and repairing your vehicle.
- Health: An explanation on different types of health insurance, choosing and understanding plans, life-stage insights, and considerations for small business owners and the self-employed.
- Homeowners: Coverage requirements, policies for certain perils, making a claim, and understanding flood insurance.
- Life and Annuities: Buying the right coverage, finding good value, important things to consider, ensuring the appropriate amount of protection, and understanding penalties.
- Long-term Care: Factors that impact your premium, doing a self-check of health and wealth, taking a financial inventory and using a checklist to secure the right coverage.
- Medicare: When and how to apply for Medicare, understanding different coverages and benefits, MedSup101, sample premium charts and a plan comparison worksheet.
Ohioans with insurance questions can visit www.insurance.ohio.gov and call the Department’s consumer hotline at 1-800-686-1526. You can also follow the Department on twitter @OHInsurance and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OhioDepartmentofInsurance.