The Consumer Services Division of the Ohio Department of Insurance provides consumer information and investigates complaints involving insurance companies and agents.
The Department cannot:
- Act as your legal representative, or give you legal advice
- Recommend insurance companies or HMOs
- Force a company to give you what you want if no laws have been broken
- Make determinations about medical necessity
- Address problems with your employer's self-funded health plan, unless the plan involves an insurance company, an HMO or an independent administrator that is licensed with the Department
Do you have a health insurance complaint because your health care service or treatment was denied, reduced, or terminated by your health plan? If yes, it may be too early for you to file a complaint, however you may have appeal rights. You may find information about your appeal rights by consulting your policy or contacting your insurance company or agent.
Before filing a complaint about health insurance, please read this important information.
Click here for important information on How to File a Consumer Complaint.
To file a complaint about an insurance company or agent, click here for the Consumer Complaint Form.
To obtain a hard copy of the Consumer Complaint Form, please call the Ohio Department of Insurance Consumer Services Division at 1-800-686-1526.
Should you have any further questions, please contact a Consumer Services analyst at 1-800-686-1526.