To sign up for a Gateway account, click here to create a new account.
Upon receipt of an electronic application for a Gateway account, the Department will send a confirmation e-mail to the applicant. To finalize the account registration process, it will be necessary to access a link included within the confirmation e-mail.
Information Needed To Submit A Filing:
As the new Annual Title Review Filing System will capture all information previously reported on the Annual Title Agent / Agency Review Form (INS3283), the Department encourages agents and agencies to gather the following information prior to submitting their review electronically:
· Error & omission coverage information
· Surety bond coverage information
· Interest On Trust Accounts (IOTA) information
· Audit results
· Independent annual review findings
To use the Annual Title Agent / Agency Review Form (INS3283) as a guide, please click here.
Due to the fact all filings are required to be submitted using an agent or agency’s National Producer Number (NPN), please have all applicable NPN numbers available. To look up an agent or agency’s NPN number, click here.
Annual filings for the 2014 filing period
(September 1, 2013 – August 31, 2014) are due by January 15, 2015.
To submit your filing(s) using the Department’s new Annual Title Review Filing System, click here.
Once a review has been submitted through the Annual Title Review Filing System, there is no need to mail or e-mail a copy to the Department.
In the event an agent or agency is unable to submit their annual filing using the Annual Title Review Filing System, filings should be mailed or faxed to:
Ohio Department of Insurance Enforcement Division
50 W. Town Street, Suite 300
Columbus, OH 43215
Exemptions To The Independent Annual Escrow Account Review:
Exemptions to the independent annual escrow account review (CPA review) are given if:
(1) An agent does not handle escrow account funds related to Ohio transactions.
(2) An agent averages five Ohio transactions or less per month during the twelve month period ending August thirty-first and the agent's escrow accounts have been reviewed during that twelve month period by one or more of the title insurance companies by which it had been appointed.
Important Note: All title agents and agencies are required to submit an annual filing to the Department even if a title agent or agency qualifies for an exemption to the independent annual review of their escrow accounts (CPA review).
Additionally, two (2) separate title filings are required if an individual holds both an individual and a business entity license.
As the annual filing requirement is mandated by law, it will be necessary for the Department to pursue administrative action against agents and agencies who fail to file their 2014 annual reviews as required.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s):
1. Is it mandatory to use the Annual Title Review Filing System for 2014 Filings?
No, however the Department highly encourages all title agents, agency representatives and CPA’s to submit filings through the Annual Title Review Filing System as the system greatly streamlines the filing process.
2. Can I e-mail my review to the Department?
Due to the fact e-mails with large attachments may be blocked by the Department’s e-mail system, annual review filings should NOT be e-mailed to the Department. If an agent or agency is unable to submit a filing through the Annual Title Review Filing System, they can mail their filing to: Ohio Department of Insurance, Fraud & Enforcement Division, 50 W. Town Street, Suite 300, Columbus, OH 43215
3. Can an individual submit multiple filings through the new Annual Title Review Filing System?
Yes, title agents, agency representatives and CPA’s can submit multiple filings through the Annual Title Review Filing System.
4. Can the Department issue a Gateway account in the name of a title agency?
No, Gateway accounts are only granted to individuals. However, a representative of a title agency may apply for a Gateway account and submit filings on behalf of the agency and its affiliated agents.
5. If I will be submitting multiple filings, do I need more than one Gateway account?
No, only one Gateway account is needed to access the Annual Title Review Filing System.
6. If someone will be filing a review on my behalf, should I provide them with my Gateway account information?
No, Gateway account information is not to be shared. Your representative should obtain their own Gateway account from the Department.
7. Will the Department issue any type of correspondence to let license holders know their filing was received?
Yes, the Department will send a confirmation e-mail when a filing is received. The e-mail will be sent however to the individual who logged into the system and submitted the review. Agents and agencies who authorize a CPA or representative to file their review on their behalf will not receive a confirmation e-mail from the Department. It is suggested you request a copy of the confirmation from your CPA or representative so you have a copy for your records.
Applicable Laws & Rules:
To view Ohio Revised Code 3953.33 (Annual Independent Review Of Agency Accounts), click here.
To view Ohio Administrative Code 3901-7-01 (Annual Review of Title Agent Escrow Accounts), click here.
If you have specific questions regarding the 2014 Annual Title Filing process or the Annual Title Review Filing System, please contact the Department’s Enforcement Division at (614) 644-2560 or ODI.Enforcement@insurance.ohio.gov.