The following is an examination and licensing procedure checklist for the agent licensing process in Ohio. For more information regarding exam registration, or for directions to a testing center, please contact Prometric at 877-346-4014 or www.prometric.com. For more information regarding the application process, please contact the License Division of the Ohio Department of Insurance at 614-644-2665.
This information does not apply to limited lines licenses, surplus lines, third party administrators, or Public Insurance Adjusters.
Prepare for your exam:
Schedule your exam:
- You may schedule your exam by mail, fax, phone or online. Contact Prometric at 877-346-4014 or at www.prometric.com.
- You may test at any Prometric testing center in Ohio; you may also make arrangements through Prometric to take the Ohio insurance exams at other Prometric locations nationwide.
Take your Exam:
- Two (2) forms of signature identification, one of which must be government-issued and photo-bearing (preferably a driver’s license).
- Original and valid pre-licensing education certificate(s) or original and valid education waiver letter from ODI for each examination that will be taken. (The certificate and/or waiver letter are valid for 180 calendar days from completion of course or issuance by the Department.)
- Confirmation number provided when the reservation was made.
- Failing score report (if retaking the examination).
- Arrive thirty (30) minutes before the examination.
- If want to complete the application process at the test center (optional), you must also bring:
- Credit/Debit Card to have fingerprints taken at the test center after passing the exam.
- Information necessary to complete the license application online after passing the exam.
After passing the examination:
- Complete an electronic criminal background check using National WebCheck. Results of the BCI & FBI background checks must be submitted to the Ohio Department of Insurance directly from BCI. National WebCheck facilities can be found by clicking the following link: ODI authorized National WebCheck locations.
- Complete the Uniform Resident Agent Application. Access to a computer to complete the online application is available at all of Prometric's Ohio test centers. For Title Agent/Solicitors complete the Producer Application for Title License; or Surety Bail Bond.
- Submit applications and/or any supporting material to: Ohio Department of Insurance, 50 W. Town Street, Third Floor - Suite 300, Columbus, Ohio 43215.
After a License has been issued:
- Once the application and any supporting documents are reviewed and approved for licensure, a license will be issued.
- The Department will email a confirmation of the issuance of the license along with instructions on how to print the new license online.
After unsuccessful passage of examination:
- Follow the instructions on the score report received from Prometric.